Korg Volca Kick

Thats.

1 Like

Tats is totally in my head on this one. I fired up my Monotron last night to play with filtering/dirtying up the Volca FM output and then got to playing with making kick sounds with it. And I have a littleBits kit patch I’ve used to generate wild kick patterns using 2 oscillators, some random, and the MS-20 filter they have in that thing. Used it on a dirty old-old-old school noisy industrial album I did last year.

Can’t wait for this new Volca!

2 Likes

That’s a mean sounding drumbeat you got going there! :thup:

1 Like

Awesome dirty drums there, jshell!

1st feb according to gearformusic in the uk

A post was split to a new topic: Rumour: new Korg Volca(s)

Sooooooo who has one, what do they like about it?

I have one… it’s pretty nice! Overall, I think it depends on what you want from it? I’m not using it like an instrument and that’s probably a waste of it TBH. I’m fairly obsessed with drum machines though and in particular kick sources. Not my go to kick source, but I’ll be first to admit I don’t even come close to exploiting what it’s probably capable of. Running it through Analog Heat has been fun too. I wouldn’t hesitate getting one again, so no regrets on it.

All that said, I don’t personally feel something has to be analog or hardware based to sound fantastic – just not the case anymore. You can get endless kicks from Kick 2 and/or Punchbox on the software side and although I love the hardware I have I wouldn’t feel the world was lost if I had to use those alone.

EDIT: Not sure I really answered your question! What I like about it… just completely immediate to dial up kicks that are a bit different than the standard 808/909 variety.

2 Likes

This video is pretty sweet and demonstrates a unique use of the Volca kick:

3 Likes

I used to have an MS20… but I really wanted the TB303 sound so I never got into it… listening to the demo of the Volca Kick reminded me of that metallic angry MS20 sound… The volcas sound pretty good but damn I cannot stand the toy-like gear that Korg and Roland are making these days. Those tiny knobs … :tired_face: I tried a Tr08 in a shop the other day and walked away pretty quick.

I have bought the kick to synch with my monotribe. Very cool device!

2 Likes

I have been ignoring mine lately, but was just thinking about taking it out to try a few ideas.

2 Likes

I love the monotribe and don’t know why it lives in a protective case all the time. I should play that thing

1 Like

I added a MIDI OUT to my Kick.
I can motion sequence cc 40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49.

If I need a different cc, I port it through midi solutions event processor.

3 Likes

So much silence on this machine. I feel like it’s one of my most important pieces of gear.

Been running it through the Evil Fuzz by Death By Audio, and the Drone Rainger. Otherworldly shht.

I quite like it! Previously, I was recording it, then loading up samples into various Elektron boxes to layer with other kicks. More recently I’ve been sampling directly in an MPC One. Very immediate and fun to use.

1 Like

I made a sample pack of what I thought was a sweet spot on it before I sold it. It’s $1.

1 Like

Great piece of kit. Of the three volcas I’ve owned it’s the only one I still have, though I’d like to try out a couple more. Bought it on a whim due to a recommendation from an old music collaborator/ friend. Glad I did. You really need to hear it in person. Much boom.

3 Likes

I got it when it first came out & still love it. Especially when I run it thru Analog Heat. Sounds HUGE. BOOM! For the price it’s great, it makes really nice basslines & sub bass too.

2 Likes

I got rid of it. I honestly thought it might be dangerous for my hearing when using headphones.

It’s indeed monstrous, but I also had a hard time getting it to sit right in a mix and struggled with the pitch.

1 Like