Melody on the MD

You mean like no chromatic scale mode on the MD. I always wanted that! :confused:

1 Like

I saw people playing the MD with a keyboard is this not the case externally? Did I really see this?

That’s news to me. If so I’ll be all over that.

I’ll try it out tomorrow and I will let you know

I sure the MD only response to 1 midi channel. Each of the 16 track can be tuned to a specific note essentially giving you a 16 note poly synth. Idk maybe that was the hack?

Found this. It can be done. Just gotta find these midi command guys

1 Like

Wow that’s awesome! :heat:

1 Like

I know. Unfortunately, that videos 8 years old, so I don’t know where to find that unit

“MiniCommand”

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=minicommand

2 Likes

Holy cow, Peter! It looks like I’ve desired this piece of gear at the right point in time!

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

ah the md notes firmware for minicommand (which was indeed known for awhile as the midicommand during its prototyping phase) … i was so thrilled at this possibility of polyphonic melodies on the md that the day after i received my mc, i was out of bed and in the studio at 5am, jamming out new tracks. ordinarily i don’t care if the house is burning down till 7. :wink: it’s a great functionality and helps make the md capable of complete tracks in my estimation.

until you find an old mc (or justin valer brings out some new ones), here’s an alternative approach.

1. find gweep’s table of md pitches, i think it’s in the files section.
  2. pick an internal machine from it and tweak it till it produces a tone you like.
  3. program all or most of your md tracks to the same machine, but at different pitches from the table. (a scale you like, etc.)
  4. jam out on the trigs. when you’ve got a riff, play it in record mode.
  5. if you prefer, consolidate it onto a few tracks using plocked pitches and filter settings. then build a percussion groove using free tracks.

… i did this tonight for about the 1000th time and still dig it :wink:

4 Likes