Noob day one Q's

Great forum, been lurking for a while and finally caved this week, octatrack should arrive some time today…

Couple of things I want to be sure on before I start with the OT.

Is the stock mem card generally ok? Thinking about picking up a SanDisk extreme 16gb, 60mb/s, are these thought to be more reliable in practise?

I’m not really interested in using the stock samples and demo projects etc. Is it straight forward to just connect USB to laptop, enable OT hard drive mode and delete stock samples etc from mem card/format a fresh one? anything I should watch out for with file structures etc?

Thanks

Well, stock cards just work. I’m still on the stock card and haven’t found an issue with it thus far. If you consider upgrading, you might get a bigger one if you plan to (re)sample a lot / use loads of sample chains etc. You might also take the “utility” route - e.g. one card for live PAs, one for studio times etc. Pick an approach that makes you feel comfortable.

Regarding samples, it’s your own canvas - same as above, do whatever you feel right :slight_smile: You can either browse them (maybe you’ll find something useful, after all they’re quality, royalty-free samples), drop them on your HDD and swap them with your own, or just downright format the CF card and start fresh. No “only way” here either.

Enjoy the journey! It’ll be bumpy at first, but patience gets rewarded.

EDIT: you might also want to check this thread:
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/sample-loading-chaos/13058

Quite some discussion on CF cards there, and my CF card point above might be totally wrong :wink:

…to stay away from all hussel, copy that stock card first to your computer into one basecamp q folder…

then copy that folder…then erase all here in the folders…
so keep just keep the basic folder structure…just strictly empty structure…

buy two solid virgin 32 gig cards!!!..16 and 8 is also still way more than it feels in first place…but have two identical cards, fresh from scratch…

THIS IS THE MOST FUN AND PRO KILLER ON THE WHOLE MATCH HERE…DON’T GO CHEAP HERE…INVEST ONCE FOR REAL IN TWO REAL GOOD CARDS!..the less u compromise here, the better u will suceed…PROMISE.

TWO cards can carry u ages…it’s nothing u have to pay again and again and agian…so pay once for real here…

copy the empty folder basecamp structure to both cards…right away from the computer to the ot…no additional formatting…before…or inbetween…

now you got two blank sheets where everthing will fall in perfect place, no matter what you do…

keep always two separated home locations on your computer for each card…
so u can mirrow them for and back at any time and any status…you’ll never have to change anything about this in years…respectively it’s a constant change in progress u never have to think about again…ur safe now…as long ur computer is ok…at least…

fool around for two days just and only with that stock card…and then never look back…

welcome to new terretorry…