OB / USB Bandwidth and Config

How many channels are you getting?
I’m getting a total of 8, in this configuration (16-bit):

Input from A4: Main L, Main R, TRK1, TRK2, TRK3, TRK4
Output to A4: Main L, Main R

Is that about right? I hope not.
I was hoping for at least the EXT channels, too (and in 24-bit :disappointed: )
Might have something to do with my USB config, but maybe not.

Can you enable any more on your system?

Win 7, 64

couple threads cover some of this - the bandwidth is limited to 12Mb/s which i reckon is a usb1 standard (and thus the only valid need to be concerned about MultiTT hubs) - even though elektron describe it as usb2, anyway in practical terms it’s old school - 8@16 or 6@24 is about it !

Holy crap! Really? I thought I was going crazy seeing “full-speed” USB, rather than “high-speed.” I’ll have to explore the threads. Thanks.

So, if you have the extra inputs, is there any advantage to having the synth do the a/d conversion? I have an apogee ensemble thunderbolt; I’m thinking it probably converts better.

I don’t understand why you keep saying it isn’t really USB 2.0- where are you getting that from?

couple threads cover some of this - the bandwidth is limited to 12Mb/s which i reckon is a usb1 standard (and thus the only valid need to be concerned about MultiTT hubs) - even though elektron describe it as usb2, anyway in practical terms it’s old school - 8@16 or 6@24 is about it ![/quote]
avantroinca, I was part of those threads on usb bandwidth, but how do you know they’re using the more limited 12Mb/s standard, and not the higher one?

EDIT: n/m…it’s right in the install instructions along with the multi tt hub stuff.

I guess the confusion is in the fact that they state it’s a “USB 2.0” device, but uses the slower signaling rate of 12Mbit/s (that is, USB 1.1, a.k.a. “full-speed”). USB 2.0 has a maximum bandwidth of 480 Mbit/s.

I wonder if this is a hardware or protocol/driver-imposed limit.

Anyway, for now, I’m fine with being able to record all of the A4 tracks in 16bit.

Sure, but that’s kind of concerning. 24 bit gives us the headroom we need and I’m concerned we’re not going to have enough channels for the Rytm, even at 16bit we’ll only have enough for each voice and no outputs.

Getting 8 Channels here too in 16 bit, plugged straight into the Mac, no hub. Let’s hope for some big improvements in this area as we’ll need more channels for the output too.

Surely they would have a USB2 chipset inside? Mind you this was exactly the same issue that has plagued Virus TI owners, only USB 1 speeds.

If the TR-8 can do 11 channels at 24/96 then I sure hope that the elektron hardware can.

How will we be able to cope with multiple elektron overbridge devices?

Just re-watched the Rytm OB demo at NAMM and see that there are all the voices available, but in 16 bit. I’m guessing that will be a hardware USB bandwidth limitation?

or maybe it’s the best compromise for the amount of processor power they have spare - either way, it strikes me that it’s probably not been the plan from the design stages - anyway, 8@24 would’ve been sweet, so they’re not far off - maybe there’s a good solid financial reason to put in the board exactly what you know you need (e.g. some of the secondary functions on the a4 have come to rely on dimmed red LEDs whereas the pre-planned ones exploit dual colour LEDs, probably one a few pence difference, but why put the less robust pricey ones on just in case ?) - all speculation, but the Multi TT hub specification from months back pretty much pointed to a low bandwidth protocol

I think there is an 12MBit line for each device connected to an MTT USB Hub. so u ve Multiple 12Mbit lines ( 40 lines ?) i guess there were no problem with other OB devices like AR. This is, what i learned from the Virus issues.
A have an Virus Polar, and the USB Audio Lines are Running mostly well with MTT HUBs, the crashing Midi Server is the act issue.

calculating am 12Mbit stream.
10 Channels a 48kHz* 24Bit = 11.520 kHz = 11.5MBit.
or
17 Channels a 44.1kHz * 16Bit = 11.995 kHz = 12 Mbit.
i learned the difference in 24Bit vs 16Bit is inaudible noise.

A Multi TT hub protects the (Higher than 12 Mb/s) devices from being dragged down to 12 ! (or 1.5 devices)
This is only applicable if there are more than 2 of the lower bandwidth devices
All hubs have the ability to handle one lower bandwidth device Transaction, but the minute you hook up two low bandwidth devices - the remaining ones get compromised
That’s why you need a Multi TT hub for certain combinations - it’s not to enable the OB to breath as much as to prevent the other devices on your hub bus being screwed - that’s why those hubs are a lot pricier - there remains (in my understanding at least) an ambiguous area concerning the viability of USB3 hubs add they don’t explicitly offer Multi TT options - and it’s simply not a matter of looking at the extra bandwidth either - There’s plenty on a usb2 one for OB devices and more
what do i know, but it’s best to be thoughtful about your purchase and don’t assume that plugging the OB device straight into a USB3 port on your computer (if they’re scarce) is a wise or remotely necessary move !

Allow me to shine some light on this…
The reason for the 12Mbit cap is that a higher rate USB proved to be too difficult to properly isolate from the analog circuitry, meaning that it would leak noise into the analog circuits when used.

The main difference between 16 and 24 bit audio is the headroom. It depends on what you plan to do with the recording rather than straight up sound quality in my opinion.

Cool - Usb2 hardware then (maybe OB was pre-planned) but it’s running at USB1.fast.speed and that explains the connection to the potential need for a MTT hub in some cases
Anecdotally Simon, have the team tried connecting a couple of OB devices to an average USB3 hub to see if the OB devices choke the higher bandwidth devices that share that hub - e.g. 2 x OB and a USB2 drive on a USB3 hub !?
I’m short of ports and would ideally like to get the cheaper USB3 hub to cater for my drives (and future proof it too) - i also specifically want an unpowered hub, which is a no-go for a USB2 MultiTT hub - even the manufacturers of both types of hubs were not clear on this scenario - anyone tried it out ?

Thanks Simon for that explanation - that helps. Was the noise just too high even testing with high performance shielded cable with double ferrite cores? At least know we understand now and we can appreciate the design challenges. We have to have the analog goodness! Just a shame we have to seek out special hubs to use OB.

OB is running great for me on an A4 on OSX 10.8.5 and Live 9.1.9 x64 connected directly to one of the 2 USB 3.0 ports on my Macbook Pro mid 2012.

I’ve just tried using a variety of ports in my 10 ports USB hub:

Unfortunately A4 refuses to play anything at all when connected to this hub :frowning: It would still show as connected in the control panel and a green dot in the VSTi.

So I’m now on the lookout for a 10 Port USB 3.0 powered hub with MTT support? I have a Rytm too, so would like to look at running that with OB, but the remaining USB port on the Mac is connected to the Hub.

Isn’t the MIDI data being carried at the same time as the audio?

I am pretty impressed with how well this all works actually.

Since I discovered my USB hub doesn’t work with OB, I did a bit of digging looking for a large USB 3.0 hub with MTT support. and came up with this (as usual no affiliation caveat)

http://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub10c2#faq

Of the 3 x VIA 812 USB chips they even have some running new firmware and some old for maximum compatibility.

there’s a discussion about it here:

http://support.plugable.com/plugable/topics/performance_of_usb_3_0_devices_when_usb_2_0_and_usb_1_0_devices_are_plugged_into_the_same

But then found that the hub I’m already using has MTT support and uses the same 3 x VIA 812 chipsets and doesn’t work at all with OB. Will test it some more and see.